+420 733 710 355

About us

A little bit different pool.

The original swimming pool facility as an essential functional, architectural and urbanistic element, along with four spa guest-houses, formed the core of a functionalist complex known as the White Quarter. The designer of the original swimming pool facility, of the urban structure of the White Quarter, as well as of the expressive post office building, is the architect Bohuslav Fuchs. The swimming pool facility and the Krystal hotel form a functionalist response to the better known Art Nouveau buildings in the city (such as the buildings by Dušan Jurkovič). The building, constructed in the years 1926-1927 along with the spa boarding-houses Ivo, Kras, Avion, Viola, and Radun, “controlled” thanks to its important situation within the urban horseshoe concept all the buildings in its vicinity and oriented the parts of the buildings intended for relaxation. The building consisted of a swimming pool, a paddling pool, and an area for sunbathing. The main swimming pool was 37 m long and 15 m wide; approximately two-thirds along its length, it was divided by a wall into two areas. The pool depth in the swimmers’ area was 100 to 160 cm and in the non-swimmers’ area from 60 to 100 cm. The building also included changing rooms and toilets.

The main reason for the construction of the new swimming pool facility was the fact that the outdoor pool facility was no longer able to meet European hygiene standards. To enable operation in the years 2008-2009 it had to undergo necessary modifications, which cost three hundred and fifty thousand crowns.

The municipality of Luhačovice announced a tender procedure, won by a project by Ladislav Semela from the design office Uposs in June 2007. The new swimming pool facility was created by reconstructing the existing outdoor swimming pool. The unique situation of the functionalist swimming pool facility was beneficial on the one hand, but also detrimental on the other. For urbanistic reasons the swimming pool facility could not be extended any longer in terms of area.

The spatial restrictions and the requirement to maintain the existing pool function – namely for swimming and sun-bathing – were set from the beginning. Ladislav Semela therefore chose a sensitive approach to the surrounding development and preserved the basic concept of the original swimming pool facility. On September 9, 2009, construction of the indoor swimming pool facility was launched. Representatives of the municipality, representatives of the engineering and realization company as well as other guests and also the Governor of the Zlín Region, Stanislav Mišák, and the Governor of the Olomouc Region, Martin Tesařík participated in the symbolic knocking on the foundation stone. The construction was preceded by the signing of an agreement on granting a subsidy from the Regional Operation program in the amount of 82 million crowns between the Municipality of Luhačovice as the investor of this, the largest investment action from the state budget in recent years in the expected amount of 120 million crowns without VAT, and the Regional Council, represented by its Chairman and the Governor of the Olomouc Region, Martin Tesařík.

The general contractor of the construction was the company TCHAS (later Eiffage Construction), the plant located in Ostrava. The project documentation was prepared by the UPOSS company, located in Luhačovice.

The inhabitants and visitors to the city thus have the possibility of year-round bathing in the 25-meter long main pool with four lanes, the adventure pool with waterspouts, jets, wild river, chairs, bubblers and other attractions, the children’s pool, whirlpool for ten people, a steam room, and exits to the sunbathing terraces. In the entrance hall there is a buffet, while in the whole area there are
naturally also the necessary hygienic facilities and access for disabled persons. The new Municipal Swimming Pool facility was put into trial operation on November 22, 2010. The ceremonial ribbon cutting and the full commissioning were carried out on December 10, 2010 in the presence of all entities involved in the construction.